Housing for Older Persons Requirements
Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes
For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:
- At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
- The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
- The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
How To Register for Housing for Older Persons
A facility or community that meets at least one of the above requirements must register with the Florida Commission on Human Relations by sending a letter to the Commission to register as a facility for older persons.
The letter must be on the letterhead of the facility or community, and it must be signed by the president of the facility or community and mailed to the Commission (mailing address).
As of September 1, 2015, the Commission has determined that it will no longer require the $20 fee to register as housing for older persons. The documentation you provided will be processed as usual and the information placed on the Commission’s website.
FCHR ACCEPTS REGISTRATIONS AS A PROVIDER OF HOUSING FOR OLDER PERSONS UNDER THE FEDERAL OR FLORIDA FAIR HOUSING ACT BASED SOLELY ON THE WRITTEN REPRESENTATIONS OF THE REGISTRANT. FCHR HAS NOT INDEPENDENTLY DETERMINED WHETHER THE REGISTRANT IN FACT MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE LAW.
A fine in the amount of $500 will be assessed against any facility or community that knowingly submits false information in meeting these requirements.
Note for Management Companies:
To ensure your record of receipt, we recommend that you send your registration via certified mail.
IMPORTANT: Once you are registered, you will be issued an account identification number. Please remember to add this number to all renewal documentation.
Renewal-Housing for Older Persons
To renew your community's status as a 55+ community:
- Make sure the community is registered by checking the directory of Housing for Older Persons .
- Confirm the renewal date.
- Download, complete and print the renewal form by clicking the renewal form . As of September 1, 2015, the Commission has determined that it will no longer require the $20 fee to register as housing for older persons. The documentation you provided will be processed as usual and the information placed on the Commission’s website.
The community renewal period will always begin on the date of the original registration. If the community renews late, then it will not be recognized as a registered Housing for Older Persons by FCHR for the period that the registration lapsed.